Time for the final reveal of my bathroom mini makeover! I say mini because I didn’t make any drastic changes like wallpaper or new fixtures. But I was able to inject a lot of personality and fun into what was once a chaotic, bland mess. And I did it using almost no money and no permanent damage to the walls!
And the after!
And since lists are all the rage these days, here are six tips and tricks for cheap, renter-friendly decorating:
1) Add impact with a hand-painted accent wall – All you need is a little bit of paint and a craft brush and you don’t even have to tape off of your walls. It’s so easy you can do this in stages, painting a few triangles whenever you get a few moments. See the how to here!
2) Paint a canvas for a inexpensive, large artwork – Inexpensive canvas, acryllic paint and craft brushes were all I needed to create this cute piece of art. Pre-stretched canvas comes in so many sizes that you can create something that fits perfectly in your space. Also, it’s light so all you need are a couple of 3M Command strips for removable, damage-free hanging. (BTW, Mr. Narwhal is supposed to be wearing a shower cap but some of my friends say it looks like a blonde toupee. Whatever floats your boat =)
3) Attach art directly to a builder mirror – One entire wall of my bathroom is covered with a basic builder’s mirror. It’s really useful but also a little boring. But, using washi tape and frames attached with 3M Command strips, I was able to add some interest that is completely removable. I used thrift store frames painted yellow, but you could also use regular picture frames as long as they’re fairly light. I’ve had these attached for a month now and they haven’t fallen down yet, so as long as your bathroom isn’t steamed up for hours at a time, you should be good.
4) Make your storage pretty – I added some much-needed organization with these DIY containers which are made out of a cardboard box and an old tin covered in pretty paper.
5) Use washi tape to dress up and coordinate – All the containers in my bathroom are mismatched, but I was able to tie them together by applying coordinating washi tape. It’s an easy, cheap and non-permanent way to dress up what you have!
6) Use kitchen towels in your bathroom – Think outside the box! I loved the color and print on this dish towel I found at Target so why not use it in my bathroom? It makes me smile every time I see it because it says onion which is just ridiculous.
I love how fun it is! And because everything’s removable, I can always change things up if I get bored. But for now, it’s a pretty happy place =)